Re: [Healeys] carb heat shield

To: "Carr&Edwards" <scvc70@epix.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] carb heat shield
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:58:57 +0800
Hi Sarah -

For what it is worth, I think a much better solution is to have your
manifold Jet-Hot Coated with their Extreme Sterling product.

I operate my A90 Atlantic (same motor as your BN1) in Hong Kong in VERY hot
temperatures and traffic, and that coating made a huge difference in under
bonnet temp and stopping float chamber boiling.  Best thing is it looks
great, looks more or less original, and makes it easy to access everything
compared to having a shield there.  Have a look at what it looks like on my
A90:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Healey.Nut/1952AustinA90AtlanticSportsSaloon#5186413418446009474
http://picasaweb.google.com/Healey.Nut/1952AustinA90AtlanticSportsSaloon#5186413414151042162

The turn around is about 10 days from Jet Hot.  Highly recommended.

Incidentally, a shield will reduce radiant temps on your carbs (which is
good) but it will not reduce under-bonnet temp.  Only Jet Hot will reduce
total under-bonnet temp (it sends the heat out the tail pipe).

No financial interest... etc...

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1