Re: [Healeys] Copper washers.

To: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Copper washers.
From: "John Rowe" <jarowe@westnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:44:45 +0800
Hi Simon

Don't quench in water or oil or anything.

Quenching makes any metal go hard or brittle etc.

To anneal just heat to cherry red and allow to cool in the ambient
temperature.

It will then become soft and malleable.

Trust me, plumbers do that all the time here in WA as the water piping is
required to be cold drawn, ie hard and stiff, and to expand the pipe to make
a joint the pipe requires annealing.

cheers from WA

John