Re: [Healeys] Right Hand, Left Hand

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Right Hand, Left Hand
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 15:07:37 EST
In a message dated 11/28/09 9:26:40 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> I believe we Brits drive on the left all stemmed from riding a horse and
> most
> people being right handed would ride on the left of the track so they
> could
> battle with their sword in their right hand.

The story I've heard is that transportation in the U.S. was primarily by
team-pulled vehicles, where the "driver" would walk next to the team, where it
made more sense to have the team on the right side of the road, with the
driver walking ahead and to the left of the team.

>From this evolved the custom of sitting on the left side of the wagon when
holding reins, and from that the logical practice of keeping one's vehicle
on the right side of the road.

Or so I've heard,
gary