Re: [Healeys] Transmission noise

To: Mark Schneider <mandmschneider@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Transmission noise
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 17:01:51 +0000 (UTC)
Thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't have thought to check the clutch fork bushings ... I will now.

bs

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Listers,

Recently I sought assistance from the Healey list members regarding a
transmission noise I was hearing from my totally rebuilt drive line.
I had removed the transmission/overdrive, clutch, propeller shaft and
U-joints from my BJ8 and completely dismantled everything and replaced
all worn parts with new components, particularly bearings, synchro
rings, and thrust washers. A few hundred miles after re-installing
everything I began to detect a rattle associated with acceleration and
a metallic tinkling sound when at a stop with engine running, in
neutral with the clutch pedal fully out. I got a number of very
helpful suggestions from the list members but I have finally
identified the sound source and it is not one of the sources
suggested. Perhaps this story will save somebody from making the same
mistake I made. Today I will once again remove the BJ8 interior and
transmission/overdrive so that I can correct a drooping clutch fork
that is allowing the throw out bearing to make contact with the first
motion shaft. I was so focused on the transmission that I missed the
worn bushes on the fork shaft. Oh well.

Marks 3
'66 BJ8