Re: [Healeys] Extra engine, break it down or leave it together ?

To: "Oudesluys" <coudesluijs@chello.nl>, "Dennis Yeast" <yeastd@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Extra engine, break it down or leave it together ?
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:22:43 -0000
Kees / Dennis,
WD40 should NOT BE USED as a preservative on parts as you describe!

As you may be aware it is a thick, sticky resinous oil that is the solute in
a thinnish evaporating petroleum based solution.  Over time it evaporates to
a yellowish varnish type film over parts and sticks them together.  At times
they are stuck very firmly together ! <SMILE>  I have no doubt you will have
come across components stored for a couple of years stained with such a film
that needed a thinners or hot water (dishwasher - but don't let the wife
know) wash to remove it.

Away from the car side, my father-in-law has a history of electrical
engineering in the aircraft, vehicle component and machine manufacturing
industries and changed trades entirely after being made redundant, buying a
jewellers shop.  He qualified in watch and clock making (he made a clock
from bare metal, turning and cutting shafts and gears - brilliant guy) and
made a reasonable side income just from cleaning WD40 from clocks that were
gummed up.  A full strip down and clean in the ultrasonic bath was the
normal cure after an owner had decided to 'service' his own clock with the
thinnest oil they knew - WD40 !!

Do a Google search on engine preserving and you won't find WD40 has a
mention from the serious side.

Guy R Day