Re: [Healeys] Chassis Numbers - Calif Reg...

To: healeys@autox.team.net, Editorgary@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Chassis Numbers - Calif Reg...
From: Robert Blair <rnbmail@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:21:36 -0800 (PST)
Listers, My practical experience on a BJ8 reg at DMV:

My car was off the road from about 91 [when it failed smog] until 2008 when
the resto was finally done.  Here is my case history:

I wanted vanity plates.  I ordered and paid for vanity plates - 65AHLY.
But when they were ready, DMV would then not give me my plates without seeing
the car in person, so they sat on my plates ad-infinitum - several years.
Finally when the resto was finished I showed up at local DMV with the car,
their forms filled out to register an old car that had been off the road for
almost 20 years.  I had the pink in hand signed to me by prior owner.  The car
plates were of course 'lost' by now during the resto.

I drove to the line.  The DMV guy asked about the car.  I confirmed it had
been off the road for almost 20 years.  Now it needed no smog [only 73 and
later in CA].  He looked around the car.  He looked under the hood for the ID.
I pointed to the rivited ID plate on the bulkhead.  He shined his flashlight
and read the numbers to himself.  I watched in silence expecting more
questions.  It matched the ID on the pink and the form I had filled out.  He
smiled and asked if I had restored the car - I said no.  He said fine, and
signed his paper and asked me to go back inside the DMV and collect my plates.
I did.

I left the DMV with the car, my new plates, and a smile.  There was zero
intent on the part of the DNV inspector to search for a chassis number stamped
in the frame.  He had probably never seen a Healey before, and was vey happy
with the riveted label ID on the bulkhead.

Robert N. Blair  Yellow 65BJ8  rnbmail@yahoo.com