Re: [Healeys] heatre control parts

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>, "I Erbs" <eyera3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] heatre control parts
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:22:09 -0500
Ira,

The new replacement cables and knobs will do the job but there are small
differences. The outer chrome threaded ring is much thicker on the repro.
The knobs (Push and Pull) have their locking holes not quite in the right
place so that you will have to carefully enlarge the holes for the shaft pin
to be able to pop into place. The replacement cable for the heater air
supply (right side) will need to be worked sharply into a spiralled S shape
to fit from knob end to air flap end. Note the shape of the original you
took out. It is quite easy to accidentally break that new control plate if
these cables aren't worked into the right shape and adjusted carefully. Same
for the heater slide control cable to the heater water valve.
Also make sure the rubber insulator sleeves attaching the two black feed
wires through the heater boost switch are intact. Bare wires there from
deteriorated insulation can be a hazard. If you don't want to bother with
rubber shrink tubing, I've used some liquid connector coating (available
from electronic supply stores) there with great success. Just brush on to
the exposed surfaces and it sets up in minutes with a rubbery black coating.
I always simply clean the parts that Moss is calling their "mounting kit"
and have the items replated (zinc). I'd guess the kit would consist of two
10-32 thread long hex bolts, two lockwashers, two nuts, two shallow round
spacers and two deep round spacers. Original red fibre packing pieces should
also be used (use originals if necessry).

Rich Chrysler