Re: [Healeys] Safety Measures

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Safety Measures
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 17:43:10 EST
In a message dated 12/23/09 10:46:35 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> for you folks that were around at the time, i can remember the 57 ford's
> big advertising push was for safety.  they had the deep dish steering
> wheel, double door locks, recessed knobs and guages, and other items i
forget.
> i believe it was kind of a bust, and car companies quit pushing safety as
> much.  it was only through government action that we got seat belts, padded
> dashes, etc.  correct me if i am wrong, but people generally did not want
> to pay extra for safety options and it took a while to come around.   hjim

I interviewed (and was subsequently hired) for a position in Ford Product
Planning in 1969. As late as that, one of the standard questions in the
interview was, "If you were a product planner in 1956, planning the 1957 cars
and
had to decide whether to install seat belts or not, what questions would
you want to get answers to?"
The correct answer was: "How much will they cost per car, and are customers
willing to pay that additional price to have seat belts, or give up
something of equal cost to get them included."
In other words, absent government controls, customers get exactly what
they're willing to pay for.
Turned out, in study after study at Ford, given a choice between seat
belts, and say, a nice set of hub caps, customers would choose the cosmetic
enhancement 2-1 every time.
So, it isn't just the auto companies that had to be forced. The reason we
have all this stuff on our cars, and the vehicle mortality rate is
significantly decreased from past years, is that the government decided, for
our own
good, to make the companies build the safety, and efficiency, and longevity,
and emissions controls into the cars.
And, frankly, we're all better for it. The cars are better, they last
longer, they get better mileage, and they are quantum amounts safer.

And with that, a Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
Gary