[Healeys] Steering Box

To: "'healey'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Steering Box
From: "PG" <britishcars@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:12:35 -0800
Ok..some honesty...I'm facing my boogyman!

I've been rebuilding motors, transmissions and cars for many years..usually
successful (augmented with some very expensive mistakes).

Years ago, I rebuilt a '52 Willy's Flatfender Jeep and messed up on the
steering box (it actually worked out OK as long as you only wanted to turn
left!)..apparently, I've been scarred by the experience and have never
approached another one.

So, now I'm facing my nemesis..I've got the steering box (and tube) out of
the car on my workbench, and it's calling to me (like the grim reaper calls
it's next victim).

My real concern is alignment and centering after the rebuild.

Before I get started on the operation..perhaps some words of wisdom from the
list...

1.      Suggested replacement parts?
2.      Do I simply reuse the existing shims and hope for the best?
3.      How do I realign when I'm done;

Thanks

Paul