[Healeys] stub axle renewals

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] stub axle renewals
From: "allen c miller jr" <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 21:17:14 -0500
I am prepping my BN2 for racing this spring and have six stub axles which i
am having crack tested by a machine shop.

while in the process is there a necessity or point to replacing the bronze
bushings as a prophylactic measure, or can you assume that no wobble of the
kingpin against the axle secured in a vice is sufficient?

alternately, would measuring across the bore at right angles with a
micrometer and checking against the pin be better? I would assume, perhaps
incorrectly, that an elliptical bore or sloppy clearance would be telling.

while at it, are there other critical front suspension parts that should be
crack tested? is there a known failure rate with ball joints, etc?

allen miller bn2/m