Re: [Healeys] OH NO!, Not OIL again!

To: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] OH NO!, Not OIL again!
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 13:26:28 +0100
I have similar results (as your mate using Penrite 20W50) with Duckhams
Classic 20W50. Keeps up the pressure better than e.g. Castrol GTX 20W50
when really hot, but that is with prolonged motorway driving at 100mph+
with a Lotus 907 engine which is considerably more stressed than the
Austin 2660cc engine. Coolant is always at a steady ca. 90:C using a
89:C thermostat all year round. However if the oil pressure drops a bit,
as with some 20W50 oils, it does not neccesarily mean that the
lubrication is not sufficient for a road car.
If you use a car in real anger, e.g. on the track, you may need
different oils alltogether and better not use 20W50, but then again you
would ideally have to modify the engine anyway, fitting a HD oil pump
for a better flow and higher pressure, HD water pump, tighter tolerances
on the bearings, oil cooler, larger radiator etc.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL