Re: [Healeys] Safety (temp) gauges

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Safety (temp) gauges
From: editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:20:31 EST
In a message dated 1/20/10 10:12:07 PM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> Wanting to keep the original, I set out to get the gauge rebuilt. And
> here is what I found out. There is a small,
> one-man shop located in San Diego, Ca., called Foreign Speedo
> (619-298-5278). No fax machine, no computer, no web site
> and not even an answering machine! They can rebuild it, but it's a  "I
> hope you're not in a hurry for this" type of
> place. We all get the picture.
>
> Well, I sent the gauge in. They refurbished the gauge, rebuilt the whole
> thing, both water temp and oil pressure, and it
> is beautiful and dead-on. And the price was "more than reasonable." These
> shops are a dying breed. So file this info and
> in the future, if your Healey is running Hot...... "

In the interests of keeping as many of these shops alive as possible: Palo
Alto Speedo, which is physically in downtown Palo Alto California has been
doing these safety gauges for many years and does an excellent job. They
advertise in a wide variety of car club and regular car magazines, and are
easy
to find on google. You send your gauge to them, they rebuild and calibrate
it promptly and return it. Only note is that, if you're doing concours,
specify that the sending tube be gray-plated, not left original copper.
gary