[Healeys] Carburettor trouble

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Carburettor trouble
From: "Paul Leeks" <Paull@glasgows.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:42:42 -0000
I have just rebuilt and refitted the twin H4 SU carbs to my 100/6 but I am
having trouble with (quite a bit of) petrol leaking out of both carburettors.

I am pretty certain that everything has been put back together properly
(being a novice, I followed the SU instructions to the letter).

The leak seems to be in the main part of each carb (ie needle/jet area).  I
have checked the valves in the float chamber lids for leaks and checked the
gap for the forked levers, so I am pretty certain that these are ok.

I am wondering whether the problem is the needles.  When I ordered the new
ones from Burlen, the specification stated that I needed 'AJ' needles.
However, I noticed when renewing them that the old needles were slightly
longer (about 1/8") and were stamped 'AR'.  Would this be the issue?

Any thoughts, as always, greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul Leeks

100/6 BN4

http://www.star.net.uk