Re: [Healeys] Seam Sealant

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Seam Sealant
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:19:06 EST
In a message dated 2/19/10 5:02:48 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> I respectfully disagree with this thought Bob. The seam sealers we have
> available today aren't the same ones that cracked and fell out of our cars
> the first time around, some 45 years ago. A good smooth fillet of sealer
> between under floor and chassis that takes paint is going to keep that
> moisture out.
>
> Rich Chrysler

i agree with Rich. I've just removed my rear fender to repair a dent, and
have found that rust has begun to take root between the fender lip and the
inner lip, and on the face of the diagonal brace up to the shut face, and also
on the corresponding surface of the inner surface of the outer fender. My
body may (at Canepa Design, one of the best in the country) recommends
putting a tube-applied sealant an the edges between fender and the diagonal
brace
to prevent any dirt and moisture from getting in between those two surfaces,
since they're almost impossible to clean without loosening the fender
fasteners, something I doubt many people (with the exception of Roger Moment)
are
going to do every year in order to keep those surfaces clean and dry.
Without the sealant, they're particularly vulnerable to dirt and moisture
thrown
off the rear wheel, and that is the absolute top-of-the-list of the "Usual
Places" to find rust.
Gary