Re: [Healeys] Spiral bevel differential in BN1

To: Peter Linn <greylinn@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Spiral bevel differential in BN1
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:44:58 +0000
Peter

Let me please make it clear that I am not discussing the early BN1
spiral bevel 4 stud rear axle.

The later BN1s and all BN2s had the BMC axles that were hypoid 5 stud.
The later BN1 versions had a filler plug on the front nose of the
'pumpkin' and incidentally R.H. threads on both ends of the casing that
held the hubs in place. The BN2 version had the filler on the rear of
the casing and handed nuts holding the hubs in place. In most respects
you could fit either 'pumpkin' to either case but you could end up with
two fillers or none depending on the selection

The same Design Alteration Note dated 26/5/1955 also covered the Morris
Six, Wolseley 6/90, Austin BS4 (A90 Westminster), Riley 2= litre and
half ton van.

Therefore if you had a pumpkin from a Wolseley 6/110 it is likely to be
without a filler on the neck because I believe that there was no change
from the Wolseley 6/90 to the 6?100 other than perhaps the gear ratio.

Regards

--
John Harper