[Healeys] radio

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] radio
From: "Peter Svilans" <peter.svilans@rogers.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:05:55 -0500
hjim,

The Smiths Radiomobile installation manual for the Austin Healey says the
following :

Suppression-

NOTE:  It is important to keep all leads, i.e. capacitor and ignition leads,
as short as possible and to scrape to bare metal each point at which an earth
connection is made.

A built-in resistor is incorporated in the distributor.

1.  Fit a 1 mfd capacitor to the dynamo output terminal.  Earth it to the
dynamo fixing bolt.

2.  Fit a 1 mfd capacitor to the SW terminal on the coil.  Earth it to the
coil mounting bolt.

3.  Fit a 1 mfd capacitor to the petrol pump.  Earth it to the pump mounting
bolt.

Additional suppression with Smiths model 230R

4.  Fit the plug suppressors provided.

Note:  On some vehicles , where interference is troublesome, it may be
necessary to disconnect from the coil the lead to the master switch.
Alternatively this lead may be replaced by a screened lead, the screen of
which should be earthed at both ends.

Also the aerial is mounted as far as possible from the ignition side of the
car, on the left front fender.

PS.  When I worked at cable TV years ago we used to have a van that drove
around which detected high-resistance homemade cable splices where people
tapped into the cable illegally.  So solder joints properly and earth the
shielding sleeves.

Best regards
Peter
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html