Re: [Healeys] [Fwd: overheating BN1]

To: "Team.Net" <lists@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] [Fwd: overheating BN1]
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:23:24 +0100
There are a few things to check:

Temperature gauge for accuracy in a pan with boiling water (100 degrees C)
Ignition timing
Fuel/air mixture at high rpm/load, a lean mixture will cause overheating
Scale/debris in engines water ways, if so the head (and block (to a
lesser extend) should be cleaned out professionally. This is not a very
common problem but can arise when water in stead of coolant has been
used in the past, clogging up waterways in the head casting, especially
if the head casting is aluminium.
Collapsed hoses
Is the proper sleeved thermostat fitted? Not so much opening
temperature, which would not be a cause for overheating, but does it
open at all when immersed in a pan of boiling water. Is it the correct
Lucas 85025? If not, fit a sleeve for the bypass if you cannot get hold
of the proper thermostat.
Does the car still overheat with the heating and blower fan full on.

My first actions would be checking the gauge and thermostat/sleeve.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL