Re: [Healeys] fender bead insulator

To: "I Erbs" <eyera3@gmail.com>, "healey help" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] fender bead insulator
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:30:52 -0400
We've had discussions about this here before and the opinions certainly
vary.

It has been our practice to make sure quality paint is well applied to all
mating surfaces and then to install the beading with nothing else there. We
feel strongly that if any other sort of tape, packing or sealant is applied
here it will only act as an  efficient moisture trap. If the metals cannot
actually touch each other, and oxygen cannot reach the metal they cannot
corrode. Moisture that enters into the area can air dry.

Keep in mind, other than the token poor primers they had on the individual
panels prior to assembly, they originally had nothing else in the seam,
therefore there was virtual metal to metal contact and corrosion was free to
take place.

Rich Chrysler