[Healeys] Problems with voltage regulator

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Problems with voltage regulator
From: Maurice Maxwell <maxandreb1@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 06:36:43 -0700 (PDT)
Yesterday I backed my Healey out of the garage and drove it for about 10 min
then home again.  While the engine was idling, it quit.  upon examination the
armature arm on the cutout was stuck against the coil of the cutout.  Pulling
the armature from the cutout gave a spark.  Turning the car cutoff to off also
releases the armature.  Can this be repaired or not?  If it can be repaired,
what needs to be done?

How complicated is it to change to an alternator?  And is this a better route
to follow?

Thanks in advance!

Max
1961 BT7