Re: [Healeys] BJ8 suspension thoughts

To: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 suspension thoughts
From: Martin Jansen <jule_enterprisesah@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:25:27 -0700 (PDT)
The panhard rod was detrimental in the handling of the car on the early year
suspension design. On the early cars, the rear springs ran parallel and the
rod was used to hold the rear axle stationary - to limit the side movement of
the rear axle. The suspension also needed to be softened because the chassis
was flexing too much . This resulted in the axle travel up and down to be
increased. This design caused the panhard rod on hard cornering to pull the
car into a  spin out. The design was used for cars up to the BJ7 and early
BJ8- 1964.
On the BJ8 65 and newer design, although chassis rigidity was still a problem
Healey realized by toeing the springs in at the front,  the rear end  would be
stable eliminating the panhard rod.Due to the fact the chassis problems were
not resolved , soft springs were
 still used  and as a result the increase
horsepower caused the springs to windup -going into a S pattern. To resolve
this problem the radius arms were installed. Radius arms do not offer any
assistance in the side movement of the rear axle. A better design would have
been a Watts link.
Remember stiffening the suspension on an original chassis will only increase
the bad behaviour of the chassis because it is not rigid. If you replicate the
original design you will not resolve the original problems.
Happy Healeying,   Marty  www.jule-enterprises.com