Re: [Healeys] Buying at a distance

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Buying at a distance
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:45:26 EDT
In a message dated 3/29/10 10:37:13 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> The cost to ship is only about $100 more than a plane ticket, 1 hotel
> room,
> then the gas it would take me to make the drive.
>
> If I decide to take the right on buying it without the personal inspection
> but rely on the shop inspection, what is the best way to handle the
> money/title transfer.

Last time I researched this, I learned that the first-tier car transport
companies (e.g. Passport which is owned by FedEx or someone now) generally
have bonded drivers who can handle the actual transfer -- exchanging your
check
for the title, or the preferred way these days, accompanying the owner to
the local bank to verify that your money has been transferred into their
account from your bank, and simultaneously getting the signed title from the
owner. Incidentally, if you throw in the   value of your time, a car transport
company is generally the more cost-efficient method, unless you're up for
the adventure of a road-trip in a brand-new (to you) car.

Cheers
Gary
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html