[Healeys] BN6 with drum brakes

To: healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] BN6 with drum brakes
From: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:35:06 -0400
Richard,
I totally believe what you are saying because I fitted MGA front disc
brakes to the spindles on my MG TD street car and the difference in
braking is like night and day.
However, don't the various vintage racing organizations have rules
pertaining to this sort of modification?  I've not seen any MG TDs
racing with front disc brakes.  It is the same situation with fitting a
later model's brakes to an earlier car's stub axles.
I suppose that some organizations are more stringent than others.  Correct?
Thanks for your insight.
Charlie Baldwin

richard mayor wrote:
Adam,
Why in the world would you want to race a 100-6 with drum brakes. You can
simply bolt up 3000 disc brakes to your 100-6 spindles. If you think you
are
doing this to keep the car "original" then think again. A 3000 is a
100-6 with
disc brakes and 273 more cc's of engine displacement. Racing is dangerous.
Disc brakes allow you to race hard and stay alive, that's why race cars
have
disc brakes.
There is no difference in the fitment or offset of drum brake cars . If you
are using wire wheels on a drum brake car then you cannot use the 60 spoke
wheels - there is spoke interference with the drum. Maybe you can use 72
spoke
wheels with drums - I do not know.
The spindles are the same on BN4, BN6, BN7, BT7, and BJ7 cars. There
never was
any adjustment to "accommodate" drums.
l hope you will reconsider racing with drum brakes.
But, what do you consider "racing".

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
mgcharlie.vcf]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html