Re: [Healeys] Arghhhhh ...

To: I Erbs <eyera3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Arghhhhh ...
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 15:34:03 +0000 (UTC)
Another good data point.

A Lister--who replied to me privately--informed me that the original BN1
downpipes had a 1/4" extension into the manifold, presumably to keep the
gaskets from taking the brunt of the hot exhaust gases. I think the best
solution is to weld a collar into the downpipe flanges to keep exhaust gas from
burning through the inside edge of the gasket. I'll use sealant and make sure
the flex joints are flexing as well.

Lots of good info from the List. I think the downpipe collar/extension is the
most liable to give a lasting solution, but I'll be checking flanges, flex
unions, motor mounts, and all the other suggestions.

Thanks to all who replied,

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

.

The muffler shop welded my flex sections to the muffler. Maybe your motor
mounts are old and causing extra engine flex and movement that is is being
transferred to the pipes....