Re: [Healeys] Austin Healey Barbie clock radio

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Austin Healey Barbie clock radio
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:54:34 +0100
Bob

You might be interested to know that during WWII in West London we
regularly experienced a drop in frequency during the day. We were told
that this was a method of lowering power consumption. It was not much
and presumable within legal limits but by the evening synchronous
electric clocks could be up to 8 minutes slow. However by the morning
they would be correct so presumably the frequency would be above the
nominal 50Hz (or should I say 50 cps as they were then) during the
night.

We did not have a National Grid at that time but I believe that all
London power stations were linked together.

Regards

--
John Harper
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html