[Healeys] Black Lic Plate expeirnce - CA Law / DMV - Part 2 >>

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Black Lic Plate expeirnce - CA Law / DMV - Part 2 >>
From: Robert Blair <rnbmail@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:20:57 -0700 (PDT)
Listers, CA black Plates - Part 2>>>>>

Arrived at DMV - usual lines.  Asked for the YOM form from the clerk.  No
problem - she know what it was.  One page - easy to fill in.

Waited for my time slot.  Went to the desk clerk.  Said I had a 65 vehicle and
wanted to change the plates from vanity white to YOM black. She took the YOM
application form, my current registration, and asked for the black plates with
the 65 sticker already attached to the top right corner.  I reluctently gave
them to her - there have been runors of folks NOT getting them back. She said
'I will be back'......

I watched as she went to a supervisors desk and talked.  The supervisor looked
at the plates on both sides, checked the 6 character number on the computer,
signed my application form, spoke again to the clerk.  She xerox copied the
black plates.  The number on the 65 sticker was irrelevant to mt case.  This
all took about 10 mins.

Clerk came back and gave me the plates back. Relief ....

Started to process the license number change.  Figured out the cost and I
wrote a check.  Clerk gave me a temp reg sheet to drive with while the 2
months passes to process the change and deliver the 2010 and month stickers,
and, the corner plates on which to mount them.  The 1965 sticker does not get
covered.

We all smiled, and I collected my stuff from the counter, and quietly departed
the DMV - bonefide CA black plates in hand, and temp registration in hand.

Result - NO PROBLEMS with the DMV, only $48, get to keep my vanities if I
wish, black plates are on the car already - SYS900.  Happy camper.....

Can recommend the process for those who prefer a correct period plate to a
current vanity plate.  Easy to go back if you wish.

Questions??

Robert N. Blair  Yellow 65BJ8  rnbmail@yahoo.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html