Re: [Healeys] Redline leak

To: Richard Kahn <tahoehealey@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Redline leak
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 21:00:30 +0200
The problem in using liquid sealant like Hylomar or similar is that it
really only works when the mating faces, or threads are absolutely clean
and free of oil. Anyway Hylomar should not be needed.
If it is a tapered plug it should not leak oil at all, the plug may be
fit for renewal or there might be a small crack in the casingfrom
overtightening. Never ever screw these in very tight. If it is a non
tapered plug, simply renew the copper washer, but check that the mating
faces are burr free and true. If there still is a leak it is not the plug.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL