[Healeys] Requesting help wrt Correct Assy of Rear wheel cylinder

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Requesting help wrt Correct Assy of Rear wheel cylinder
From: "grantlyon@myway.com" <grantlyon@myway.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 02:55:16 -0400
I removed my leaking wheel wheel cylinders several months ago to replace them
new cylinders. I thought I took sufficient notes, but now I am unsure what is
the order/orientation of the locking plates and the rubber seal installation
perplexes me.

I think the order of reassembly is:
1.      Detach cylinder handbrake lever (the lever through the backing plate
that
moves the wheel cylinder) from the tie rod connecting it (eventually) to the
cockpit handbrake lever. Slide seal over handbrake lever 'til seal is against
the backing plate. Reattach lever to tie rod assy.
2.      Insert cylinder through backing plate and connect brake line b do not
engage slots in cylinder into the two fingers on the cylinder handbrake lever.
Loosely install brake line.
3.      Insert the top locking plate (#4 in the workshop manual Fig. M-2) on the
inboard side of the backing plate and down into the slots on the sides of the
wheel cylinder. There are two hooks (90 degree bent tips) on this locking
plate and these should be facing toward the middle of the car (inboard) away
from the backing plate.

When I removed my original wheel cylinders, I thought the rubber seal (#1 in
Fig. M-2) had a thin web which was trapped underneath the two locking plates
against the backing plate. Looking at the seal I have and the picture in the
work shop manual, it appears I have a correct rubber seal. However, the seal
appears to be far far too thick to fit between the backing plate and the two
locking plates. The seal measures ~0.1" thick. Maybe if I add soapy water to
the rubber seal I could slide the #4 locking plate on top of the rubber seal,
and then follow with the #2 locking plate insertion. Seems like a very very
tight fit, but maybe the seal deforms

4 Now the wheel cylinder can be lifted over the two fingers of the cylinder
handbrake lever so the two fingers (cylindrical stubs) locate into rounded
slots in the cylinder.

5.      From below the cylinder, insert the bottom locking plate (#2 in the
workshop Figure M-2) inboard of the other (#4) clip (bInboardb meaning the
#2 clip is closer to the center of the car compared to the #4 clip which is
against the backing plate.). The order of parts from the wheel brake cylinder
inwards would be: cylinder, backing plate, rubber seal, locking plate #4, then
locking plate #2.

6. Tighten brake line. Carry on with installation of shoes with lube on
contact points, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Grant
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html