[Healeys] (somewhat) Off-topic: speed limits

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] (somewhat) Off-topic: speed limits
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 08:40:50 -0700
Just came back from a 4K+ mile road trip through the US Southwest.
Being a native Californian, I have to say I was impressed with the way
some other states handle speed limits and enforcement.  In AZ, NM, TX,
OK, KS, CO, UT and NV the speed limits are generally more reasonable;
e.g. 70-75mph on freeways, and 60-65mph on decent quality 'backroads.'
And, it appeared the limits are enforced without mercy (esp. in AZ and
NM).  These are, of course, good cruising speeds for a Big Healey.

In CA, similar backroads will have a 55mph speed limit, but everyone
will do 65mph+ with impunity (usually).   I also like the 'Stay On The
Right Except To Pass' policy on TX freeways--much less lane-cutting and
generally more civil behavior, compared to oh, say, Interstate 5 in
central CA.

Off the soapbox ...

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net

You can possess an exotic car, but an Austin-Healey posesses you.
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html