Re: [Healeys] Choke Issue

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Choke Issue
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:44:14 -0800
I had the same problem. Turned out the replacement jets I'd installed - the
rear one was a little too large in diameter and hung up in the bore, such that
when I pushed the choke in, the return spring would not return it to the
upright position. This on spotless carbs which had been rebuilt with no
internal varnish or gunk.

A giveaway was that the rocker with the mixture screw flopped up and down
easily. If the pivot had been corroded like the other poster, the rocker would
have likely been stuck.

Removing the domes with the choke in, the front carb jet was down .09" and the
rear was .22".

I dismounted the rear carb, removed the jet and found the replacement was
approximately .002" larger in diameter than an old jet in my posession, so I
sanded the diameter down with sandpaper and now it works correctly.

--
Steve Gerow
BN6 29D with HD8s