Re: [Healeys] Master Cylinder

To: "Keith Bailey" <keithbailey5@bigpond.com>, <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Master Cylinder
From: "Peter Linn" <greylinn@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 22:59:43 +1000
Hi Keith

As you know I've had constant problems with bleeding the brakes on the Ward
Spl. One thing to check is that there is sufficient free play at the pedal.
If the pushrod is too long, it's possible that the piston doesn't return far
enough to clear the hole in the cylinder that allows fluid to flow down from
the reservoir.

If this is OK, the other issue is that air can be sucked in via the end seal
on the piston when the pedal is released, as the hole from the reservoir is
small and with everything ewlse in good condition, the suction created when
the pedal is released can draw air via the seal. I eventually got a pedal by
(a) instead of closing the bleed screw after a down stroke, ensure the bleed
tube is full of fluid, and that it rises vertically from the bleed screw.
Wait for air bubbles to rise far enough that they won't get sucked back in ,
then SLOWLY relase the pedal. Repeat until there's no more air bubbles. This
way, fluid gets drawn back in via the bleed screw rather than air elsewhere.

Cheers

Peter