Re: [Healeys] Motor Oil --- ZDDP

To: Greg Mandas <gmandas@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Motor Oil --- ZDDP
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:50:54 -0700
Welcome to the List.  Yes, it's a rehash, but it's a slow news day.

The consensus now is that most 20W-50 oils probably have (just) enough
ZDDP for our flat tappet valve trains (although some manufacturers may
have cut back the amount from earlier formulations).  There aren't any
modern, catalytic converter-equipped cars that use such a heavy
oil--most use 5W-30 or 10W-30 and some Hondas and Fords  use 5W-20--so
20W-50 was apparently exempted from the new regs (or simply overlooked).

Valvoline Racing Oil--the 'street legal' version--probably has enough
ZDDP that you could use it straight, without any additive.   You'll want
to change your oil at least once a year regardless of how much/often you
drive your car, so you could put in 12 of 16ozs of the additive when you
change the oil, then the other 4oz when you add a qt. (assuming the
additive comes in pint bottles).  Or just dump it all in when you change
the oil and don't worry about it.  Or just use the Valvoline and don't
worry about it.

A quart every 3-400 miles is a bit much, even for a Healey.  Are you
burning it, or just marking your territory?

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html