Re: [Healeys] BJ7 ipholstery

To: Frank Edwards <logical2@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ7 ipholstery
From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:58:29 -0700
Frank,

Yes, if you look at the original foam ("Dunlopillow') it had square holes
molded in the bottom.  The newer replacement foam being much denser to begin
with has no such holes...therefore you sit way too high.

The solution has been around for sometime and is very simple, you can either
use a hole saw (about a 2" diameter) and drill a pattern of circular holes
in the bottom of the cushion.  I have a neat heated wire setup designed by
the late David Koch of Canada, where I can cut square holes (as original)
out of the cushions.

Roger Moment has been doing this for years and it works well.  I just judged
3 100Ms at Concours at Rendezvous and the one that Roger did the interior on
had these holes in the seat cushions.  They looked close and performed as
original.

*Shameless plug time.. stop reading if you are offended by Concours.

However, the holes need to be drilled BEFORE you spend money having the
seats upholstered.  This is discussed specifically in the "Interior and Soft
Trim" section of the Concours guidelines, in note: 90 under "Seat Cushions."
You see reading the Guidelines is not just for Concours, they can help you
save time and money on any quality restoration.  *

Cheers,

Curt

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html