[Healeys] Annual Conclave Adventure--2010--Galena

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Annual Conclave Adventure--2010--Galena
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 00:01:53 -0400
Listers,

We're on our annual adventure to Conclave.  This year our traveling companion,
Steve, is unable to attend--we miss you Steve and Freida.  We began our
journey Thurs. afternoon as I was engaged in gainful employment until 7AM
Thurs. and because of last minute details we couldn't get going till around
1PM.  We headed out from Jacksonville, NC west on Hwy 24 on a meandering trail
that will end up in Galena on Sunday.  We passed through the home of the 82nd
Airborne in Fayetteville then on to the home of Kelly Pickler in Albemarle,
NC.  She wasn't there so we continued north on rural roads towards Chattanooga
(otherwise known as West Jefferson, NC.)--a little inside humor here.  The day
(afternoon) was Hot and sunny so we had plenty of block on for the top down
cruise.  Nothing much to report since everything went smoothly--car running
nice and cool and all.

Well just before Wilkesboro right around the race track it began to sprinkle
cooling things down a bit.  My wife, Sherry, uttered the famous words "We'll
drive right through it, it'll be OK"!@*%.  About that time we cruised around a
bend and it appeared as though new black top had been applied to the highway
with a definite line straight across the roadway.  Before we could do anything
we were getting soaked.  We pulled off on the next side road and pulled up in
a driveway.  As we slowed down Sherry put up the umbrella and when we stopped
I jumped out and threw the top up (bj8 thank goodness).  About that time a
young man came running out from the house that the driveway belonged to with a
dry towel in his hand and an offer to have us come in to dry off.  People have
been so wonderful to us everywhere we've gone in the Healey.  We accepted the
towel, declined the drying off offer, and headed on our merry way as if we had
good sense.

Continued in Part 2.

George & Sherry Haywood

'65 bj8