[Healeys] Day 3 of Conclave Adventure

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Day 3 of Conclave Adventure
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 01:26:07 -0400
Today's journey started out in damp conditions after having rained during the
night.  Oh, our room looked like a laundry with a broken dryer last night with
the passenger side floor mats hanging along with multiple microfiber cloths
where ever they could drip without messing up any furnishings.  Since the top
was still wet and we were going to travel on I-64 for around 100 miles we
drove top up (hood up, sorry).  Today we went from Winchester, Ky thru In, to
Springfield, Il (Lincoln's stomping grounds).  We left the mountains of Ky
yesterday and went into the bluegrass hills today.  Although we spent the
first couple of hours on Interstate the farms traversed were sometimes quite
grand with huge homes and horse barns.  Horses are everywhere lounging around
leisurely chewing on lush Ky bluegrass.  We even passed by a retirement home
for thoroughbreds-no glue factory for those guys.  There were many large
estates with For Sale signs posted along the highway.  Guess times can be
tough all over.  As we passed around Louisville we saw many bridges crossing
the Ohio River and also noticed the Louisville Slugger bat standing above the
store tops to our left.  The buildings of downtown were very impressive
architecturally.  Indiana was a continuation of Ky at first with beautiful
horse farms and then the scenery changed the farther North we traveled.  What
were horse farms became fields of corn, soy beans, and hay.  Eventually just
corn and beans were all we observed.  About every 15-20 miles we came to small
well kept towns.  In the countryside I expected to see Pat Boone speeding down
a dirt road through the corn fields.  We even came upon a county fair with a
farris wheel, dirt horse racing track and all.  The only thing missing for me
was the cotton candy and candied apples.  One town called Loogootee, In.
sported BO-MAC'S Drive In.  We pulled up and a car hop came out to take our
ice cream order.  It was warm in the sun so we put up our umbrella to give us
shade.  She took pictures of that site, we laughed, ate our ice cream and
drove on. We passed into Il. and stopped in the town of Marshall when we saw a
rustic log cabin on the main drag being used as the visitor's center.  I went
inside, signed the log and got a pencil as a memento.  We took some pics, sat
in the shade for a while checking the map for our final leg today and got back
on the road.  From there on to Springfield things became quite flat and corn
fields as far as you could see.  We arrived at the motel @ around 5PM, had a
nice dinner, and are about to fall asleep--oh wait, I hear snoring from the
bed, guess I'm behind schedule tonight.  Tomorrow we set out for Galena--will
report in then.  It's been wonderful so far.

George & Sherry Haywood

Hotmail.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multicalendar&ocid=PID283
26::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_5
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html