[Healeys] FW: Post Conclave Adventure Part 2

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] FW: Post Conclave Adventure Part 2
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 00:05:58 -0400
Mon. eve. we stopped in Kirkville, Mo. for the night. It rained off and on all
day and the skies were angry looking. After hanging all the wet stuff in the
room, and eating we settled in for the night. About 12:30-1 AM the tornado
siren sounded so we got partially dressed, and went to the first floor for
safety. We heard plenty of wind, rain, and finally hail. This went on an hour
and we went back up to sleep. This AM when we went out we expected to see
dents all over the car. There were none, hew!! A man in the parking lot asked
us if the car got wet overnight. I told him no, the seats were wet where the
wind blew water thru the top/glass seal. He was worried, when he went to sleep
water from the creek behind the motel (which I didn't know about) had risen to
within a foot of our car. Cars in the parking lot did get water inside from
the creek. Boy, did we dodge 2 BIG ones that night! We got out of there and
drove on. The weather was beautiful and cool today. As we drove on thru Mo.
and into Il. the water along the roadways was very high. In Mo. a railroad
underpass was flooded so we detoured around that. Farther down the road water
was washing over, we slowed down and went thru hanging close to the center
highpoint. We made it but later noticed that water had come into the cockpit
from somewhere as the rear carpets were wet. We crossed into Il. crossing the
Mississippi River at Quincy, Il. What a nice town. There are beautiful older
large homes downtown. All sorts of designs from craftsman to victorian.  There
must have been much commerce along the river early in the century (19th and
20th) to have supported houses like those. We found Hwy 104 out of Quincy and
headed SE. After a while I noticed a scrubbing from my front brakes when I
came to a stop. While getting gas a little south of Springfield, Il. Sherry
got out to listen to see which wheel was the culprit. It was the left front
wheel. I pulled the wheel and checked the caliper. There was no braking
surface on the outside brake pad. It was scrubbing on the brake pad backing
plate. I mean there was no trace of a pad there. Guess it separated and
dropped out somewhere on the road. We had good brakes when we left home. I
quickly called Moss and ordered pads for overnight delivery to a motel in
Springfield. We got a room at that motel luckily and I'll install the pads in
the AM. Will let you know how it turns out. Time for shut eye now so stay
tuned for more adventure stories as we head home.

George & Sherry Haywood

inbox. See how.

The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Get
started.

Hotmail. Get busy.

http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL
:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3