Re: [Healeys] Adjustable Shock Plates

To: john spaur <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Adjustable Shock Plates
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 06:34:27 -0700
 >$1,000???   Moss lists them for $539.95 (part# 856-115), and you can
probably get them for less straight from Kilmartin.

We put these on our 100M because we had serious negative camber problems
(never figured out why--chassis was straight).   These are built slanted
down front to back, to better accommodate the Healey's weird way of
making a caster angle (pull the front A-arm in further than the back).
Unfortunately, Kilmartin built some incorrectly--Greg K. told me
later--and the slant was backward; i.e. the mounts for the bumper pad
were on the backside of the shock mounts.  This drove us nuts--we
finally set the caster right by grinding down the back--which should
have been the front--and welding a plate to the front to raise it.  In
hindsight, we should have just installed them the way they were--it
doesn't matter were the bumper is--but we were trying to be 'correct.'

Installation is tricky--you have to get them in the right spot for
correct caster (camber is less critical, of course).  We did this on a
bare frame making careful angle measurements against a straight rod
positioned at the same angle the A-arms would mount to the chassis (or,
just put them in the same place as the old ones and hope for the best).
Then, you have to get them welded up (unless you're and accomplished
welder best to have a pro do it).

All that said, it's great to be able to dial in whatever camber angle
you want (my father, an 'old time' mechanic, still can't believe Healeys
didn't have any camber adjustment).  Yes, we 'lose points' on
originality but we don't plan to have the car judged (we did build to
concours standards as much as possible).

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html