[Healeys] Fw: FW: Post Conclave Adventure Part 2

To: "AustinHealey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Fw: FW: Post Conclave Adventure Part 2
From: "Dick Matson" <medlabinc@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 07:49:14 -0700
Thanks for the interesting reports.

Speaking of fuel for our cars, I once attended a slide show - a while back
now.  An adventurer had just completed an around the world flight in his
2-place Cessna 140.  He was glad to have survived and was telling his story.

While a little off subject for this list one of the memorable parts of his
story for me was the locating of fuel for his airplane as he went along.  Some
places he landed were what you would call off-field.  On trails even.  In the
outback.  No gas pumps around.  That's for sure.

While us vintage aircraft types here in the US were mourning the loss of 80-87
and wondering what in the world we're going to do now about fuel for our old
airplanes, this adventurer was continuing around the world by asking locals
wherever he landed for whatever they could find that would pour and ignite.  I
remember the pictures, 1, 3, 6, 10 gallon tins pouring into his tank.  Amazing
to me he continued on his way just fine to a next landing somewhere where the
same thing might happen all over again.

The Continental O-200 engine in his Cessna 140 maybe lasted no longer than the
trip.  I don't know.  But he did make the trip successfully.

Meanwhile back here in the US we all continued to fly our old vintage
airplanes around just fine with 100 Low-Lead.

Ever since his slide show I haven't given so much thought anymore either to
what I put from the pump into the tank of my Austin Healey.

Dick Matson / Bj8