Re: [Healeys] Closed system- little confused

To: Steve Gerow <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Closed system- little confused
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:22:01 +0200
Steve,

You could create a fully closed cooling system by using a plain radiator
cap without the pressure valve, just to cover op the filler neck, and
tighten up the pressure cap on the MG overflow tank.
The7 lbs for your car is very low and can easily and safely be raised to
12 lbs or a bit more if your hoses and radiator are in good condition.
This will give you an extra buffer in dense traffic if necessary.

You probably have not sealed the rivet on your present radiator cap or
have not filled up the overflow bottle to about half full (or empty)
when cold. This is probably the reason the radiator is not full to the brim.
In my car the radiator cap is fully sealed with the thin rubber gasket
over the thin brass (or stainless steel in your case I think) disc in
the cap and some sealant rubbed in around the rivet . I kept filling the
overflow bottle to 1/2 full for the first few trips which led to a
practically complete expulsion of air in the cooling system with the
radiator full to the brim. The heated up air (and coolant) will be
pushed out to the overflow bottle and after cooling down only coolant
will be sucked back, no air.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Steve Gerow wrote:
> Respectfully, my closed system has worked fine with a stock filler neck and
> stock 7lb Moss brass rivet cap since 2005.
>

> When the engine cools down it sucks the overflow back into the radiator,
> where the coolant level stays constant about < below the filler neck.
>
> See the first 3 pictures at:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/healey_tech
>

> I put a 1/16 rubber gasket inside the cap and run the outlet tube to the
> bottom of a vented reservoir.
>

> Currently Im using a brass MGB overflow tank by leaving the  pressure cap
> on it in the loosened position.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
coudesluijs.vcf]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html