[Healeys] Speedo angle drives

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Speedo angle drives
From: <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 15:23:15 +0000
I'm sure this will seem like a stupid question, as I figure I'm the only one
who doesn't know the answer, but ...
If one were to remove the angle drive from their BN1 gearbox, would that
person then find out, in a somewhat rude fashion, if they had oil in their
gearbox?
Or, in other words, are you supposed to drain the gearbox first?
I feel somewhat foolish asking, but I'll feel a lot more foolish finding out
the hard way.  This is my first time with a car that has an "angle drive" or
overdrive.  I did check the archives.  Lots of mention of removing them; no
mention of draining first.  I checked the Service Manual and it is only
mentioned as part of a complete service, near as I can find.
I would normally assume, from the angle drive's location, that the gearbox
should be drained, but I seem to have gleaned from discussions here that angle
drive lubrication is required, so that leads me to assume that the oil isn't
shared.  On the other hand, there was a tiny bit of what looked like dirty
engine oil on the lower end of the angle drive and the interior floor.  ( But,
it was thickened up with dust, so it's hard to tell. )
Thanks!
Robert Duquette

Ottawa ON Canada

1965 RHD BRG Austin-Healey Sprite ( project )

1967 RHD MG Midget ( aka: Miss Marple )

1955 Austin-Healey 100 BN1 ( aka: Carmen
)http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette/temp/2009FallTour.jpg
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html