Re: [Healeys] Checking out a gearbox

To: Carr&Edwards <scvc70@epix.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Checking out a gearbox
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 22:55:03 +0200
You will have to take the box apart to be able to examine all parts for
wear, i.e. synchro's, bearings, shafts, forks etc.
Only then you can establish the condition of the gearbox properly. It
sounds like a lot of complicated work, but it is not, really. In general
gearboxes are easy to work on providing you have or can make up (wooden)
dummy shafts. Make sure you have a proper manual to work from.
If you have the facilities you can take the chance to fit the gearbox as
is and see how it performs. It is not a terribly big deal to fit and
remove the gearbox, the only drawback it being so bloody heavy.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL