[Healeys] FW: Top Replacement Probs. Again

To: "'Austin Healey list'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] FW: Top Replacement Probs. Again
From: "John & Kerry Rowe" <jkrowe46@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 08:07:04 +1000
Mark
Remove the latches completely until after the hood is completely fitted. The
aluminium trim will hold the  header rail in position to enable finishing
Then from inside screw the fittings into the correct position in a locked
down position,
You shouldn't have any more problems
After that follow the instructions from Ron Ray

John Rowe  Qld Australia
BN1 BT7

When is a muffler connected to a top install?  When the idiot installer
doesn't tell you to
watch your muffler on his  high threshold entry into his shop.  CRUNCH!
Great
way to begin a customer relationship,  IDIOT.  Man was I pissed.     And the
threshold looked like a battle ground from years of previous wipe outs.   He
told me to just pull in the first stall and no warning
mentioned,  what was he thinkin.

Anyway, now that that is off my chest until I can take a good look at the
damage, here is my
real issue if your still with me.

First off, why do the "front top hold down latches"  release UPWARD into the
top.  How does
that not tear into the top, why didn't the factory install them releasing
downward.? What were they thinking, or am I missing something here?

And here is a parts  quality question.   After the top installer had the bow
for my 1960 BT7
attached on the top of the windshield  (top not installed yet) he showed me
how much the release latches stuck out above the wooden bow.  So once the
top
is installed he could see how serious wear would take place on the top from
the latches.  We tried my original latches and my new latches and they both
looked the same way,  too high.

It seems that the counter sunk holes in the Moss header bow are not in the
perfect location?

Has this been an issue for anyone else and what is the fix?   Unfortunately
don't have any remains of my original top stuff or
I would bother you guys with this.

I will return to the shop after I gather this info and he lowers his damn
threshold.

Mark
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html