Re: [Healeys] 2nd and 3rd gear 'hop'

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, healeylist
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 2nd and 3rd gear 'hop'
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 07:41:41 +0800
Bob -

If it's not popping out of gear, there's nothing really wrong.  The
little detente balls and springs are in the box specifically to keep
the box in gear.  As you go down a hill using the box to brake the
car, the lever will want to pop out of gear, esp in 2nd.

If it starts popping out of gear, then either the detente springs or
the selector shafts will be worn.

Usually nothing serious for the BJ8 box, even of popping out of gear,
just use your hand to keep it in!

Alan