Re: [Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 4, Issue 552

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 4, Issue 552
From: editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:30:26 -0400
Just try driving without any oil in the dashpots and you will have a terrible
flat spot due to the pistons rising without any restriction and giving a weak
mixture.

Okay, where is rationality when you need it? Here's my take on the question of
dash pot oil.

1. There is no single right and correct answer.
2. You can use any oil in the garage or no oil at all. Dash pot oil, 3 in 1,
Marvel Mystery, 20 wt, 30 wt. whatever.
3. The viscosity of the oil you do use will affect the engine's response on
throttle-on and throttle-off. That's the only reason it's in there.
4. The thicker the oil, the slower the piston movement, hence the slower the
response. The car will accelerate more slowly and decelerate more slowly
5. If you're not satisfied with the kind of response you're getting, change
the viscosity of the oil you're using accordingly.

In my racing MGA, I use no oil at all, because I don't care how smoothly the
engine accelerates or decelerates, I want the car to respond and I want it to
respond NOW. In my Healey I use Mystery oil because I happen to have it in the
garage. It gives me smooth, but reasonably responsive behavior whether
speeding up or slowing down.

Gary
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html