Re: [Healeys] Carb - Adjustments

To: Greg Mandas <gmandas@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Carb - Adjustments
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:27:05 -0700
Greg,

Sounds like you're not sure the carbs are actually adjusted.  If you're
sure the mixture is correct--and the fuel is below the top of the
jets--then it's likely your float levels are too low.  The needles that
come in the kits are STD, and should be OK unless the engine is highly
modified.

Where is the fuel level--with the pump on--WRT the top of the jet?  It
needs to be below the top of the jet.  Generally, the top of the jet
should be 1/16"-1/8" below the throttle throat bridge, and the fuel
level should be about the same below the top of the jet.

I've tried every recommended way to adjust carbs--including using an
exhaust gas analyzer--and in my opinion Colortunes work the best (unless
you have a dyno).  With Colortunes--I have two--you can not only get the
mixture right, but you can confirm that you're getting a rich mixture
when you open the throttles (I haven't tried it, but you might be able
to assess the effects of the different oils that get recommended for the
dashpots).  You can also get an idea of the spark quality and
consistency, at least in the cylinders you're looking at.

One other thing.  Are your needles set properly in the vacuum piston?
Some needles have a shoulder, which must be level with the bottom of the
piston, but all the ones I've seen have a groove.  The top of the groove
should be level with the bottom of the piston--to me, this is
counterintuitive--and this can have a larger-than-you'd-think effect on
mixture setting.

bs

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net