Re: [Healeys] Healey Frame 'add ons'

To: healeys@autox.team.net, mark buggy <mbuggy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healey Frame 'add ons'
From: Martin Jansen <jule_enterprisesah@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:58:50 -0700 (PDT)
Mark, I cannot tell you how many times I have seen these types of repairs come
through my shop.They do not work. Patching a chassis is just irresponsible.
Your chassis is suffering from what is known as a compression buckle. Your
chassis is sagging. This problem occurs in most Healeys. If your out riggers
are rotted this only makes it worse. Welding strips of steel on the chassis
will make it weaker. I know that will upset many on this site but that is
true.
The upper structure cannot be relied upon to strengthen the lower structure,
this would be a mistake. The connecting points  offer very little  torsional
rigidity. These repairs offer short term resolution.
The Healey frame is a ladder monoque design, it does not provide torsional
rigidity due to the light weight of the steel originally used . Torsional
rigidity is essential to provide panel fit and handling. Patching as you are
suggesting will lead to acceleration of  structural failures in the
performance and handling of the Austin Healey.
In 27 years of doing Healey structures I have yet to have one of our Jule
frames fail like the original chassis.
If you choose to repair the chassis please
 be fair and disclose this at time
of sale. It is a legal requirement in Ontario and elsewhere that a patched
frame must be disclosed to a potential buyer.
Happy Healeying   Marty  www.jule-enterprises.com
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html