Re: [Healeys] Digest N0.4, Enquiring minds want to know

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, Martin Jansen
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Digest N0.4, Enquiring minds want to know
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:08:51 +0800
I nearly had my BJ8 chassis collapse on me when I hit a very severe
dip in the road which created a crack on the rail just behind the
shock tower.  I didn't see any damage at that moment and proceeded to
drive the car for several months.

I started to notice a squeak in the car every time I pushed it through
a turn or hit a bump.  For whatever reason I ignored it and, putting a
new set of tires on that car, took it in to have the toe-in adjusted.

The alignment guy called me back a couple hours later and told me to
come down and have a look.  Lo and behold the little crack had almost
worked it's way around with only one flat side of the box beam
maintaining structural integrity!  Another month or two and the BJ8
would have been a divot digger on the highway.

It was welded up and has been fine since, The guy was a good welder.

Alan