Re: [Healeys] Intermittent OD failiure

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net, Mark LaPierre <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Intermittent OD failiure
From: Jim LeBlanc <jim_leblanc@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:49:20 -0700 (PDT)
Mark,

I have seen many types of OD failures, mostly adjustment related. The key is
to measure valve lift and use that metric as final confirmation of adjustment.
My service manual almost falls open to page G/6 (BN1 section) for these words

"the ball should be lifted 1/32 in. (0.794 mm.) off its seat when the
overdrive control is operated".

I personally go for a little more lift, maybe 1/8 in.

All the other adjustments are subject to error. For an illustration see Fig 6
"Operating Valve". Also make sure the solenoid plunger does not have more than
1/4 inch fall per figure 8. I use a brass screw inserted into the hold below
the plunger to adjust fall. Some people use a nylon screw. I faintly recall
that a 10-32 screw works well.

Best Regards,

Jim LeBlanc
1956 100-M