Re: [Healeys] BN1 Le Mans Pistons

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 Le Mans Pistons
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 08:26:25 +0100
Bob

These  compression ratio figures are those stated in the Hepolite piston
catalogue and must make some assumption about the volume of the cylinder
head.

Perhaps the BMC/DHMCo made their own measurements or calculations and
came out at a slightly different figure. Alternatively they could have
switched to using 12623 at a later date and not bothered to change the
publicity documentation?

However using C.R. to define a piston is somewhat hit and miss and a
safer way, other than using a part number, is the bowl depth
measurement. This is the measurement from a line across the top of the
piston to the centre of the bowl.

For interest Hepolite bowl depth measurements are as follows

12572   0.562"
14296   0.499" (Measured)
12623   0.422"

For what it is worth the bowl capacity of 14296 is measured at around 28
cc.

Regards

--
John Harper