[Healeys] SU float bowl lids

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] SU float bowl lids
From: "warthodson@aol.com" <warthodson@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:29:59 -0400
I saw something this weekend that I thought was strange, but I wasn't sure if
there was a reason that I was unfamiliar with.
The car was a 100 with "M" modifications among other changes. The SU carb
float bowl lids were the type designed for banjo bolt fuel line fittings.
This type of lid usually has a small hollow cylinder cast into the lid near
the banjo bolt fitting & the bottom of the cylinder is NOT open to the float
chamber. I know the cylinder is there to accommodate a "tickler valve". The
cylinders on both lids fitted to this 100 were open to the float chamber, but
were not fitted with "tickler valves". They also had the overflow tubes fitted
to the lids, so I cannot imagine any reason for having the cylinders open. Did
100s ever come with "tickler valves"? Ever see this on any application?
Gary Hodson
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html