Re: [Healeys] Thermostats

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Thermostats
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 22:23:34 -0400
"If this controller restriction did not exist the coolant would flow
rapidly to rad causing your car o over heat. the radiator requires time o
cool
your coolant."

Marty, I think what you intended to say was if the thermostat was not there
then the coolant would flow too rapidly through the radiator to be cooled
and the car would overheat (correct me if I'm misinterpreting your
statement).  Then why does the BMC parts manual for the BJ7 and BJ8 (page
MA8) identify a blanking sleeve only in lieu of a thermostat as an option
for cars going to extremely hot climates?

I respectfully have to disagree with you.  It has been a long time since I
took Thermodynamics 301 and 302 in college, but as I recall the cooling
ability of a closed system depends on the coolant flow rate, the cooling air
flow rate, and the difference in temperature between the coolant and the
ambient air.  The greater the flow rate of either coolant or air, the higher
the heat transfer rate and the better the cooling.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA